more on adding domains

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Nov 17 15:49:12 UTC 2003

In article <bp4n8u$2akf$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
RYAN vAN GINNEKEN  <rmvg at shaw.ca> wrote:
>n article <bp3e5k$145m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>If you want to have separate files for the computerking and
>sculpturaldesign PTR records, you can use the $INCLUDE directive.  Create a
>main file "db.204.206.102" that contains:
>
>$TTL 3h
>@ IN SOA ns1.computerking.ca. root.computerking.ca. (
>  ... )
>  IN NS ns1.computerking.ca.
>  IN NS higcoup.ca.
>
>$INCLUDE db.204.206.102.computerking
>$INCLUDE db.204.206.102.sculpturaldesign
>

>-- Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com Level(3), Woburn, MA ***
>DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
>Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
>group. so if i have two files they each have only one PTR record right?

Right.

>Does this make sense or have purpose? or should i just add both PTR
>records to one file

For such a small domain I would just use one file.  Include files are
useful when you have a large network and want to use smaller files to keep
it organized.  But if there are just two PTR records, it seems like
overkill.

>		     what happens when i transfer to the slave machine i
>guess it must create all the files it needs right? I guess i do not need

Slave servers only deal with zones, they don't know or care how the files
were organized on the master server.  It will just create the one zone file
it needs.

>to add an A record to higcoup.ca.external that is taken care of with the
>computerking.ca.external file and the sculputraldesign.ca.external takes

Right.

>care of that? Which of these methods is more correct or is it just
>personal preference

They're both correct, it's just a matter of what's makes it easiest for you
to organize your files.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA