sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std-nospam.schuler-ag.com
Mon Nov 17 08:00:56 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com> wrote in
news:boop1c$118a$1 at sf1.isc.org:
> One of the first things that named does when it starts up is update
> its root server list, by sending out a query for the root servers.
> Normally it sends the query to one of the root servers from the hints
> file, but when forwarding is configured it sends it to the forwarders.
>
> You need to figure out why the forwarders is unable to resolve the
> addresses of [A-M].ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

well, we did tests with our internet provider, who is running the
forwarder. He told me his logs are showing AAAA records requested from our
named when starting. AFAIK this has something to do with IPV6. Our named
(8.4.1-P1) is running on a non IPV6 system (Ultrix), their named
(=forwarder 192.92.138.35) is a 9.2.2. So who could a non-IPV6 request AAA
records?
Today, I restarted the master of another domain, also (8.4.1-P1), non-IPV6,
but different operating system (AIX 4.1.x), different internet provider
(forwarder 193.101.111.20) - same errors.
Maybe this is a problem 8.4.x using 9.x.x forwarders? Or their 9.x.x have a
bug ?
--
Christian Krackowizer
Schuler Business Solutions GmbH