help with adding domains

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Nov 14 22:38:24 UTC 2003

In article <bp3e5k$145m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
RYAN vAN GINNEKEN  <rmvg at shaw.ca> wrote:
>If hosting dns master for more than one domian at a single ip what is
>the best way to achive this the more I think about it the more confused
>I become. The first way that comes to mind goes something like this.
>
>Create a entery in named.conf like below
>
>zone "computerking.ca" {
>
>type master;
>
>file "pz/db.computerking.ca.external";
>
>};
>
>zone "102.206.205.in-addr.arpa" {
>
>type master;
>
>file "pz/db.205.206.102.computerking";
>
>};
>
>zone "sculpturaldesign.ca" {
>
>type master;
>
>file "db.sculpturaldesign.external";
>
>};
>
>zone "102.206.205.in-addr.arpa" {
>
>type master;
>
>file "pz/db.205.206.102.sculpturaldesign";
>
>};

You can't have two different zone statements for the same
102.206.205.in-addr.arpa zone.  Only one of them will be used, the other
file will be ignored.

If you want to have separate files for the computerking and
sculpturaldesign PTR records, you can use the $INCLUDE directive.  Create a
main file "db.204.206.102" that contains:

$TTL 3h
@ IN SOA ns1.computerking.ca. root.computerking.ca. (
  ... )
  IN NS ns1.computerking.ca.
  IN NS higcoup.ca.

$INCLUDE db.204.206.102.computerking
$INCLUDE db.204.206.102.sculpturaldesign

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA