Delegation to private IP question

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Nov 14 18:50:26 UTC 2003

In article <bp346r$q8q$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
dns-slacker <linuxjaver at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've told not to put private IP into the pulbic zone
>declaration, but I think I need it for delegation
>to sub.mydomain.any with private IP.
>
>Exactly the scheme is like this:
>
>mydomain.any.        in ns ns1.mydomain.any.
>ns1.mydomain.any.    in A  abc.def.ijk.lmn
>
># glue record
>sub.mydomain.any.    in ns sub.mydomain.any.
>sub.mydomain.any.    in A  10.11.12.1
>

>Wut speak against private IP on public zone ?

This is not a great idea, but you can probably get away with it.  If the
subdomain isn't supposed to be used from the outside, it shouldn't matter
that it's delegated to an unreachable address.

>Howto go around this ?

The best way is to use views, with one view of the zone for the public, and
another view for internal users.  Then put the delegation and glue records
in the internal view.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA