Help with slave - BIND 9.2.1 RedHat 9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 12 02:11:19 UTC 2003

Mike Voss wrote:

>I'm setting up a slave to (eventually) take over primary from an ISP.
>I'm curious - according to DNS and BIND, when setting up a slave, you
>must get a copy of the zone files in use by the master for the initial
>setup.  I thought it was possible to do it without doing so. (ie; you
>set up the config, reload, and the files just get created)  Can anyone
>tell me for sure if copying the files initially is the only way to do
>it ?

Where in _DNS_and_BIND_ are you reading this? On page 88 of Fourth
Edition, in the section on setting up slave nameservers, it says:

    One extra check to make on the slave that you didn't have to make on
    the primary master is to see that the nameserver created the backup
    files.

This sounds identical to what you referred to as "the files just get
created"...

                                       - Kevin