Problem with bind and multiple interfaces.

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 23:58:55 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin wrote:

> Also, I notice you're running 8.2.2-P5, a pretty ancient version.

That's because he's using AIX. IBM in their infinite wisdom, despite
being a sponsor of the ISC, are still shipping 8.2.2-P5 in AIX 5.1,
which is a current release if not the very latest (I don't have a 5.2 to
hand to check). It is a build of their own with some extra fixes, so it
isn't as bad as a raw 8.2.2-P5. They havn't changed it for over two years.

Further, they also ship bind4, and by default /usr/sbin/named is a
symlink to that. You have to change the link to get bind8. To be fair,
they do recommend doing this.

IBM's conservatism gets a bit extreme sometimes. They carefully modify
their default sendmail configuration to be an open relay for
"compatibility" reasons too.

Of course it's trivial to bolt a version of bind from this century into
AIX, but if you do IBM will not support it.

Regards, Ian