Newbie question: different IP ranges in same reverse file?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 5 19:21:46 UTC 2003

nospam at wanted.com wrote:

>Hi.
>Our ISP has allocated different IP address ranges to two different offices
>(say 194.131.x.x to one office and 64.191.x.x to the other).  However,
>both sites have internet facing machines that belong to the same domain
>(say johndoe.com).  All of the PTR records in the 1.1.131.194.in-addr.arpa
>file reflect only the last octet (if that is the correct terminology) of
>the IP address in the 194.131.x.x range.  However, I have one machine at
>that other site that must be referenced for purposes of the Reverse
>lookup.
>
>Can I put an entry in the 1.1.131.194.in-addr.arpa file with the format
>(for example):
>
>2.1.191.64     PTR   someserver.johndoe.com.

No, absolutely not. Such an entry would be rejected from the
1.131.194.in-addr.arpa or 131.194.in-addr.arpa zone file as "data
outside zone". Each zone file must contain only data which is actually
in the zone, or, as a kind of special case, "glue" data which relates to
descendants of that zone.

>The IP address is completely different from the other addresses in the
>range, but both belong to the domain johndoe.com.  I don't think I can
>have two reverse files for the same domain.

Your reverse zones and forward zones are independent of each other. Just
as you can have multiple forward zones, you can have multiple reverse
zones too. I have hundreds of each on my nameservers.

- Kevin