bind and dhcp updates

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sun Nov 2 22:49:05 UTC 2003

Landy Atkinson <atkinson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> At 9:32 PM +0000 10/30/03, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
>>Scott Ware <scott at eardown.com> wrote:
>>>  Is there any good way to have a dhcp server dynamically update the dns
>>>  records with new dhcp clients' addresses?
>>
>>>  Thanks
>>
>>Yes.
>>
>>The _real_ issue is "why" ?
>>
>>--
>>Peter H=E5kanson

> I've wondered the same thing.  My reason for=20
> wanting this is that in a Windows98 peer-to-peer=20
> network (i.e. no Windows server providing WINS=20
> services), "My Network Places" doesn't find other=20
> clients unless they are listed in a Hosts file or=20
> can resolve in our local DNS.  I've thought about=20
> switching to DHCP for the 40 client machines at=20
> the small school I help out with, but haven't=20
> because then Hosts and DNS would not be current.

> Can someone please point to where DHCP / BIND=20
> interaction setup is documented.  I have both=20
> running on a RH Linux 7.2 server and am only=20
> interested in updating the zone for our private=20
> network (192.168.10.X).  Named is now running as=20
> the master for our internal network and a caching=20
> name server for lookups outside our private=20
> network.

> -Landy

Relying on clients hosting resources for other clients is
far from optimal. Any resources in your network needed
by other clients _should_ be stored and kept by "servers".

Givin the users habits to cross-reference resources is
teh same as giving them bad habits.

Said that, the next question "howto update dns from dhcpd" is
best answered by reading the dhcpd documentation.

Man dhcpd.conf ( mine is a little old:Internet Software Consortium
DHCP Server V3.0.1rc4), read about "ddns-*" configuration
statements.

There is an older thread on this subject where Cricket Liu
on Mon Oct  7 09:17:38 2002 helped a user on exactly this
subject, i'll quite a few lines:
%%% quote %%%
> The relevant bits of config are like this ..
>
> dhcpd.conf
> ==========
>
> option domain-name "rols.org.";
> option domain-name-servers ovation.rols.org,216.254.95.2;
> ddns-update-style interim;
> ddns-domainname "rols.org.";
> ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa.";

Try adding:

zone rols.org. {
    primary <address of primary master name server>;
}

zone 45.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
    primary <address of primary master name server>;
}

to dhcpd.conf.

cricket

%% end quote %%%