How to log zone transfers and etc [anyone?]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 1 03:14:00 UTC 2003

John wrote:

>vo at eudoramail.com (John) wrote in message news:<bnm3v5$n2m$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
>

>>Hello all:
>>
>>BIND 9.2.2 on Solaris 8.
>>
>>I was just reading the O'reilly Bind book and the logging section
>>pretty much confused the heck out of me.
>>
>>What I'd like to do:
>>
>>- log all zone transfers, allowed and denied.
>>- log all reloads, when I do an rndc reload.
>>- Log errors, warnings, death threats.
>>
>>And just some other "default" logging that is informative.
>>
>>My logging section in named.conf
>>
>>logging { channel security_log {
>>             file "/var/adm/named-security.log" size 20m;
>>             print-time yes;
>>             print-category yes;
>>                           };
>>        category security { security_log; };
>>        category lame-servers { null; };
>>        category xfer-in { default_syslog; };
>>        category xfer-out { default_syslog; };
>>        category update { null; };
>>        };
>>
>>And this is *NOT* doing it for me.
>>What changes do I have to make?
>>
>>-Thanks.
>>
>>-J.
>>

>Any taker? come on guy, a little help please?

Well, maybe it would help if you elaborated on "is *NOT* doing it for
me". Too much? Too little? Not the right stuff? None at all? What's
wrong with what you're getting?

I have to confess that I'm fairly lazy when it comes to logging. Let me
clarify that: I'm not lazy when it comes to *looking* at the logs, but
I'm fairly lazy in fine-tuning exactly what gets logged and what
doesn't. I have some scripts that do some summarization of the logs and
then I just plow through all of the noise looking for interesting stuff.
For me, the default logging parameters seem to be fine, and capture most
or all of what you're looking for (if you capture all of the way down to
daemon.debug).

                           - Kevin