Default/Wildcard Query Response

Shane Kinsch shane.kinsch at netracorp.com
Thu Jul 31 23:43:43 UTC 2003

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:<bgacc9$2bjv$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> Shane Kinsch <shane.kinsch at netracorp.com> wrote:
> > phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:<bg6dqi$1j0$1 at sf1.isc.or=
>  g>...
>  ic
>  =20
>  =20
>  ch
>  =20
> >>=20
> >> You ask in news and will receive answer with news ...
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Try a DNS wildcard '*' :
> >>=20
> >> *	IN	A	<ip-of-wildcard>
> >>=20
> >> This may be combined with other RR and the general rule is=20
> >> that "closest fit" will match.
> >>=20
>
> > Where would this go?  In the root's cache?  I'm not looking for domain
> > specific as I don't know who is pointing to me.  I want to take any
> > and all generic traffic and redirect to a generic start page.
>
> In the zone's zonefile. This is "just another resource-record" among othe=
> rs.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking.  There is no ZONE to put
it in.  It doesn't exist.  I need a "wildcard" zone or some config
change that will respond to anything if asked with an IP that I give.
Again, let's say you point your domain to my servers... they won't
respond because I am not the SOA for your domain... now let's say I
make some magic change to my DNS servers to respond with an IP, even
though I'm not the SOA.  Is this possible??