Complete newbie

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 31 20:24:20 UTC 2003

It's generally not a good idea to host a DNS zone on a dynamic address (even
though you may have been lucky so far, don't assume you'll always get the same
address from DHCP forever). If the address ever changes, you would need to not
only update the records in your own domain, but also in the parent domain.
Also, any slaves for the zone would need to have their zone-transfer parameters
updated to reflect the new address. Basically it's very messy and you'll be at
least partially broken until it all gets changed over.

If you can somehow get a static address, e.g. buy that as a value-added service
from your ISP, and you want to start hosting your domain, then you'd need some
delegation records from the parent domain which should match the NS records in
the zone itself. You need *two* nameservers for every zone, for purposes of
redundancy, preferably on different networks, but it would probably be OK if
you could convince your ISP to be a slave for your zone.

Once you have that zone delegated and set up, you can add anything you want
under it. See how to set up master zones in the documentation that comes with
BIND 9 and/or the _DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly. That'll answer your
questions about rndc-confgen too...

- Kevin