Complete explanation of in-bailiwick

Michele Chubirka chubirka at gwu.edu
Tue Jul 29 17:50:00 UTC 2003

To be more specific, one reads about how it's better to make sure that
authoritative servers for a domain are in-bailiwick. For example:
The nameservers for foo.com should be listed within foo.com such as
NS ns.foo.com
Not
NS ns.foo.net

I understand the benefits in having this setup, because the query
wouldn't have to go back to a TLD or root server to obtain information
on the .net domain. However, does this apply to subdomains as well? If
I'm the parent and delegate two different subdomains, but have glue
records for all the nameservers which are located in the different
subdomains, would that be out-of-bailiwick? Am I making sense at all?