Adding a single RR to a foreign zone

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 29 17:38:35 UTC 2003

-Tom- <dk-poster at sol.dk> wrote:
> Hi guys !

> I'm running a recursive BIND9 server with a few local zones.

> We are accessing a partner network using a VPN connection - mostly
> web-enabled services. When I resolve a hostname ( like
> web1.mypartner.dk ) I get the "official" answer - like 194.182.3.4.

> But - since we have a VPN connection, I need to use the private
> ip-adresse ( 10.2.3.4 ).

> How do I add/change a single A or CNAME record for a foreign zone ? I
> cannot perform a zone-transfer of mypartner.dk :=(

Then you only have one (bad) chioce : create the zone yourself and
either populate it with records or make the zone a "forward zone"
pointing to your partner networks internal dns servers.

> I remember reading an old document describing how to "prime" the cache
> by inserting RR's in a local master zone - but that trick does not
> work with BIND9 - I get :

> dns_master_load: /etc/bind/db.127:15: ignoring out-of-zone data
> (web1.mypartner.dk)

> Any hints ?

Your connection to the partner will give more troubles, try to
find a way where you communicate via "official addresses" and
Internet-present DNS names.

--
Peter Håkanson