named.conf Config Error - Logging

Danny lists at brenius.com
Mon Jul 28 23:05:03 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have a non-externally accessible (behind firewall) DNS server setup
for testing purposes.

I am receiving the following error messages:

Jul 28 17:33:53 nofx named[71]: starting (/etc/namedb/named.conf).  named 8.3.3-REL
Wed Oct  9 12:19:59 GMT 2002
root at builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named
Jul 28 17:33:54 nofx named[71]: /etc/namedb/named.conf:12: syntax error near logging
Jul 28 17:33:54 nofx named[71]: /etc/namedb/named.conf:22: syntax error near channel
Jul 28 17:33:54 nofx named[72]: Ready to answer queries.

...while trying to implement decent logging (for later production use) via a
template from Rob Thomas' website.

Here is my named.conf on my authoritative master server.

// Named.conf Name Server - Master
//

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        forwarders {
                192.168.1.1;
        };

logging {

channel "default_syslog" {
// Send most of the named messages to syslog.
syslog local2;
severity debug;

};

channel audit_log {
// Send the security related messages to a separate file.
file "/var/log/named.log";
severity debug;
print-time yes;

};

category default { default_syslog; };
category general { default_syslog; };
category security { audit_log; default_syslog; };
category config { default_syslog; };
category resolver { audit_log; };
category xfer-in { audit_log; };
category xfer-out { audit_log; };
category notify { audit_log; };
category client { audit_log; };
category network { audit_log; };
category update { audit_log; };
category queries { audit_log; };
category lame-servers { audit_log; };

};

// Root Server Hints
//
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

// Localhost Rev
//
zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "localhost.rev";
};

<clip>

I realize my version of Bind is not the latest and greatest, however,
if the feature set is available for this version based on the
configuration guidelines I have specified, I would first like to figure
out what is wrong with my config before I throw an upgrade into
the mix.

Thank you!