DNS Ports

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 28 22:15:21 UTC 2003

Mark Damrose wrote:

> "Dave Harman" <dharman1060 at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:bfnatl$4ni$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> > You know, I think you're more interested in being "right"
> > than in being helpful.
> >
> > The statement "DNS uses UDP to send and get data"
> > is true. Now, if I had written "DNS uses *only*
> > UDP to send and get data, that would be false.
>
> If this was general knowledge, you would be correct.
> However in the technical fields, incomplete statements
> are *false*, and often are more damaging than helpful.

Right, but even within the technical fields, I think it is appropriate
to distinguish the context of *asking*a*question* versus
*giving*an*answer*. If Dave Harman had given that incomplete statement
as an *answer* to someone's question, I'd agree it might be "more
damaging than helpful". But in point of fact, David was the one asking
the question, putting forth his possibly -- and as it happens actually
-- incomplete knowledge of the situation in the hopes of further
edification. For Jonathon to reply, essentially, "you're WRONG!" was, in
my opinion, inappropriate and unhelpful. Those who have
admittedly-incomplete knowledge and ask for more shouldn't IMO be
denigrated for what they *don't* know. The proper response is to give
them the information they seek so that their understanding is enhanced.

- Kevin