DNS Forwarder

Herb Martin news at LearnQuick.com
Sun Jul 27 22:36:42 UTC 2003

A forwarder is probably not critical to the solution
(it may be necessary for reasons you do not describe).

Keep both DNS server sets running throughout the
changeover -- make sure clients can reach either
until they are weened off the old names (this may
be where you need to forward even.)

Normally, clients reach all names in the namespace
by asking a DNS server to recurse, the DNS server
does this by going to the ROOT and working it's way
down to the needed information.

The alternative is for the DNS server to forward to another
DNS server for names it doesn't hold, but then it is totally
dependent on that other (forwarder) DNS server -- in most
cases -- to resolve all names it doesn't hold.

If you only have two zones, a forwarder can work (don't
make them circular though, e.g, a->b->a XXX)

If you don't have a common root and only have two zones,
it is probably best for each DNS server set to hold secondaries
for the opposite zone.

"Sanjay Kulkarni" <sanjay.kulkarni at wipro.com> wrote in message
news:bg0s7v$17lo$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Hi,
>

> In our company we have two Microsoft AD DNS zones abc.com and abc.co.in
belonging to two different organizations. Now we are planning to consolidate
the Active Directories of abc.com and abc.co.in. During consolidation,
clients, applications and directory servers required to resolve the both the
domains/zones.  Could you please let us know, whether to use the option of
'forwarder' from one domain to another or whether should have the secondary
zone of other domain?