FQDN

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Sat Jul 26 22:46:03 UTC 2003

>     John> Experimentally, stupidly long names seem to work in at least
>     John> some cases:
>
>     John> Why somebody would want to actually use such a thing
>     John> escapges me though, as the whole point of DNS is that names
>     John> are easier than numbers.
>
> Er, no. The whole point of DNS is to give a distributed, scalable,
> consistent name space with local content control that can easily be
> looked up. Whether those names are "easier than numbers" or not is
> immaterial.

  It seems to me that raw IP numbers satisfy all of those criteria.

  But it is easier to remember and use:  www.house.gov
  than it is to use: 143.231.86.196

  However if the name was some nonsense like:

    www.citizens-democratic.web-interface.house-of-representatives.government.district-of-columbia.federal.united-states-of-america.intarweb

  you might find people prefering to remember the number. :)

John