Details of Propagation

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Jul 24 18:23:18 UTC 2003

Whizkid25468 <whizkidxxxxx at oceanfree.net> wrote:

> <phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote in message news:bfns18$l1p$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>> Whizkid25468 <whizkidxxxxx at oceanfree.net> wrote:

%% stuff snipped to save some bytes %%%
>> DNS has a built-in resistance to changes (caching of data) which is there
> by
>> purpose : reduce load AND increase performance.

> Unless you use Dynamic DNS /:-\<<. A component of that is to turn the TTL
> down really low on your records, isn't it?
Yes.

Remember that any use of DNS as an authorization mechanism is as good as
snakeoil ( unledd DNSSEC is used and no data is cached)

You _might_ have a possibility to skip DDNS, most ( all ?) applications
will continue to function even if DNS don't coincident with the machine's name.

If ever needs arises to identify a specific machine DHCP logs are vastly more
accurate.

But it's up to your environment.

--
Peter Håkanson