Reverse mapping on a non-octet boundary

Sam Pointer sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com
Thu Jul 24 16:25:40 UTC 2003

Hello list;

I'm in a bit of a BIND. I am in the process of moving our reverse mapping
in-house. We only allocated part of the IP range. Therefore the ISP for this
range has delegated various parts on the in-addr.arpa subdomain to us, thus:

;195.167.246.0/27
0-31            IN      NS      ns1.hpdsc.com.
0-31            IN      NS      ns2.hpdsc.com.
0-31            IN      NS      ns3.hpdsc.com.
0-31            IN      NS      ns4.hpdsc.com.
;195.167.246.32/29
32-39           IN      NS      ns1.hpdsc.com.
32-39           IN      NS      ns2.hpdsc.com.
32-39           IN      NS      ns3.hpdsc.com.
32-39           IN      NS      ns4.hpdsc.com.
;195.167.246.40/30
40-43           IN      NS      ns1.hpdsc.com.
40-43           IN      NS      ns2.hpdsc.com.
40-43           IN      NS      ns3.hpdsc.com.
40-43           IN      NS      ns4.hpdsc.com.

That bit I understand, all well and good (BTW: this hasn't updated yet if
you go to check).

Now, the bit I am missing is how do I set-up my in-addr domains my end? Can
I simply have a large '246.167.195.in-addr.arpa.' Zonefile to handle the
whole lot? In my mind I can, as the query of anything above
'43.246.167.195.in-addr.arpa' will be sent to whatever the ISP has delegated
this subdomain too.

This is the way we have our in-addr.arpa set-up for our other ISP; but they
use the RFC2317 method of having CNAME records pointing all over the place -
as opposed to a straight delegation such as this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam Pointer
UNIX, Security & Network Administration
HPD Software Limited
Tel: + 44 (0) 20 8780 6800
Fax: + 44 (0) 20 8780 6801

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance on this message
or its attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender as soon as possible and delete it from your computer systems.
necessarily reflect those of HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.

 At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed
and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk.  All liability
is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a re-
sult of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to
HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.