DNS Ports

Dave Harman dharman1060 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 00:51:07 UTC 2003

You know, I think you're more interested in being "right"
than in being helpful.

The statement "DNS uses UDP to send and get data"
is true. Now, if I had written "DNS uses *only*
UDP to send and get data, that would be false.

As to whether you think have anything to "un-learn", this is
arrogance masquerading as knowledge.

I did not include TCP in my inquiry because I know that
the TCP port for DNS is 53. I wanted to know if the resolver uses
unpriveleged ports to send queries and receive responses.
I also asked if the resolver caches the reply or the DNS server.

Fortunately, someone else who was more interested in answering my
questions than in picking apart my rhetoric gave me a informative reply.

I really have no interest in your web page. I have a firewall to
get operating.

Dave Harman