reverse lookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 23 22:25:58 UTC 2003

Bill Heese wrote:

> I've been trying to set up PTR records for a 10.0.1.0/24 network.I've
> llooked it over a bunch of times and everything looks correct but reverse
> lookups are still not working. Forward lookups work fine. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated... Thanks in Advance.
>
> The db file looks like this:
>
> ; begin 1.0.10.in-addr.arpa.
> ;
> $TTL 3h
> @ IN SOA ns1.randomdog.net. admin.ns1.randomdog.net. (
>         2003071701      ; Serial (Format, YYYYMMDDVV)
>         10800s          ; Refresh after 3 hours
>         3600s           ; Retry after 1 hour
>         604800s         ; Expire after 1 week
>         86400s          ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
>         )
> ;
> ; nameserver
> ;
>  IN NS ns1.randomdog.net.
> ;
> ; hosts
> ;
> 30 IN PTR ns1.randomdog.net.
> 25 IN PTR server.randomdog.net.
> 30 IN PTR mail.randomdog.net.
> ;
> ; end of file
> ;

I just ran named-checkzone (a utility from the BIND 9 distribution) on that
zone file and it checks out just fine.

When you say "reverse lookups are still not working" are you sending the
queries directly to servers having explicit knowledge of the zone, i.e. a zone
definition for 1.0.10.in-addr.arpa in their named.conf's? If you're sending it
elsewhere, then the other servers may not be able to find the zone data if the
zone is not properly delegated from 10.in-addr.arpa or 0.10.in-addr.arpa.

- Kevin