bind9 logging

Joerg Schumacher schuma at gaertner.de
Tue Jul 22 02:37:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:37:07AM +1000, Mark.Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> > I've upgraded one of our servers from bind 8 to bind 9 and now I'm
> > reworking the logfile analyser.  Some "popular" errors made by our
> > customers we've been able to catch in the bind 8 logs are:
> >
> >    serial number decrements:
> >    	xfer-in: notice: Zone... SOA serial# (xxx) ... is < ours (xxx)
>
> 	It's currently a debug message.
>
> 	zone_debuglog(zone, me, 1, "ahead");

Thanks for the hint.  Any plans to raise the level from debug to error
and include both serials?   A slave being "ahead" indicates almost
always an error.  The operator of the slave should be able to detect
this without debugging.

In the meantime I've found a message in the bind9-workers archive.
Looks like others do share my concerns: