Bind 9.2.2 integration with AD

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jul 22 14:38:50 UTC 2003

>Brad Daut <dautb at exchange.nku.edu> wrote (in part):
>
>I have been having problems getting my Windows 2003 DC to write its SRV
>records to my Bind 9.2.2 server.  I do have bind setup to do ddns because I
>have my test dhcp clients write to a specific zone, but somehow windows 2003
>AD cant write to it.  Any suggestions would really be appreciated.  I have
>also added the eventlog errors as an attachment.

> [...]

A few comments:

1) I do not understand this zone:

         zone "dhcp.in-addr.arpa" {
            type master;
            file "dhcp.in-addr.arpa";
            allow-update { key DHCP_UPDATER; };
         };

   If it is a reverse zone (for example, for the A.B.C.x subnet),
   then its name should be

         C.B.A.in-addr.arpa

   But this is not part of your SRV problem.

2) Do you have the eventID numbers?  You gave the texts, which imply
   that the DDNS updates failed.  I see nothing obviously wrong with
   your configuration.  You may need to run a sniffer on the BIND box
   to capture the DNS packets and see exactly what is being sent to
   BIND and what BIND returns back to the W2k box.

I have no experience with Windows 2003 (nor is there a consistent
shortcut name for it), so I do not know if your problem is due to some
new code in W2003.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov