DNS Ports

Dave Harman dharman1060 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 22:51:36 UTC 2003

Thanks for your reply.

So, as I understand it, the resolver sends out queries
on an unpriveleged port and receives the answer on the
same port.

Does the resolver cache the reply, or the DNS server ?

The DNS server listens for queries from resolvers on port 53
and sends a reply on the the same port the resolver used in the query.

Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks

Dave Harman