Upgrade to 2000 DNS or stay with Unix Bind (Coexistence) ?

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at tesco.net
Sat Jul 19 14:40:11 UTC 2003

KE> I need the documentation to prove that the correct move is
KE> from a Sun box to w2k.

Whether it is correct depends from the circumstances, which you haven't told
us.  It seems from all of your questions so far that you are attempting to
find a rationale to justify a decision that you have already made, rather than
trying to obtain technical information as grounds for then making a decision.

KE> Security and how it compares to the latest version of Bind.

If you are performing secure dynamic DNS updates with your existing BIND setup
(from, say, ISC's DHCP server), you will not be able to simply migrate that to
Microsoft's DNS server.  ISC's BIND and Microsoft's DNS server use different
and incompatible authentication mechanisms.  Replacing your DNS server with a
Microsoft one will have the knock-on effect of requiring you to replace your
DHCP server with a Microsoft one as well.