Logging category update, 8.3.x

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Fri Jan 31 01:42:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:20:09AM +1100, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> > It's been a while since I've done any serious work with 8, so when a
> > friend came to me yesterday asking why update logging doesn't seem to
> > work, I spent some time looking at it.
> >
> > Given this block:
> >
> > logging {
> >         channel update_log {
> >                 file "/tmp/update.log";
> >                 print-time yes;
> >                 print-category yes;
> >                 };
> >         category update { update_log; };
> > };
> >
> > 8.3.4 does not create update.log at startup. If update.log is created
> > manually, and the server successfully processes an update, the update is
> > not logged.
>
> 	Your assuming that the server logs something to the update
> 	category.

Well, erm. Yes. I sort of based that assumption on the documentation
that says:

        The following categories are available:

        update  Dynamic updates

and on recipe 10.7 from the Cookbook, and on p. 171 of the 4th edition,
that says quite clearly that the update category logs "dynamic update
events". Generally, when the 4th edition, the cookbook, and the docs as
shipped from ISC say the same thing, I figure it's safe to assume that
they are right.

Are you saying that they're all wrong?

-P.