DNS version

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Jan 30 19:24:46 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:32:02AM -0500, Tester wrote:

> How can I find out DNS BIND version on my Unix server?

Check the syslog output for the version, or find the path to your
running BIND instance (with the ps command) and invoke *that* named with
-v, as in:

 $ /usr/local/sbin/named -v

A common trap is to simply run "named -v" and assume the version in your
path is the one actually running, don't do that. Another
often-recommended but less useful command is "dig @SERVER version.bind
txt chaos". This can be modified by the administrator, making some quite
interesting results depending on the server queried.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"Nothing seems to please a fly so much as to be taken for a currant, and
if it can be baked in a cake and palmed off on the unwary, it dies
happy." - Samuel Clemens