DNS Configure Problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 28 00:31:55 UTC 2003

Barry Fawthrop wrote:

>Hi Kevin
>

>>Are you showing _all_ of the zone data?
>>

>You have a copy of the full zone file, I just changed the actual_domain_name
>to domain1 and domain2
>for security reasons though I'm sure anyone can find what they are anyway.
>

>>It looks an awful lot like you have domain2 in your resolver default
>>domain or search path *and* a (not shown) wildcard record in the zone...
>>

>Don't understand this point could you please clarify further,

Standard resolver algorithm. If the name you're trying to look up isn't
found, the client resolver will tack on the default domain, or work
through the search list. Trouble is, if you have a wildcard in one of
those default or search domains, it'll match that and not go any
further. That's what it looks like in your case. If you have no wildcard
entry in domain2, then I have no idea what might be causing your problem.

                                        - Kevin