NON-Authoritative ANS

V.N.SEKHAR sekhar at stpb.soft.net
Sat Jan 25 19:26:05 UTC 2003

Hi,

We are running BIND 8 on solaris 8. The forward zone is working fine but
we are facing some problem with the reverse zone.

We have PTR entries for the network 164.164/16.Example of host is
164.164.4.5.

When we do nslookup we are getting the followign result.

Default Server:  stpb.soft.net
Address:  164.164.4.5

> 164.164.4.5
Server:  stpb.soft.net
Address:  164.164.4.5

Name:    stpb.soft.net  <----This is the authoritative answer
Address:  164.164.4.5

>set q=ptr
> 164.164.4.5
Server:  stpb.soft.net
Address:  164.164.4.5

Non-authoritative answer: <-----NON-Authoritative answer.
5.4.164.164.in-addr.arpa        name = stpb.soft.net

When i am able to lookup just by giving the IP address why server is
giving NON-Auth answet when i select query type =PTR?

The secondary is NOT picking up the zone file.

Whether any body can help me what is going wrong?

Thanks and Regards,

V.N.SEKHAR