dig reveser lookups failing everywhere

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri Jan 24 21:14:10 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, G. Brown wrote:

> Havn't done a reverse name lookup using dig for a while so not sure if
> this is me but dig seems to be failing everywhere I try on all reverse
> lookups.
>
> dig hotmail.com give amongst others 64.4.53.7
>
> nslookup 64.4.53.7 provides an answer
>
> dig 64.4.53.7 ANY gives nothing
>
> Tried this on 4 different syatems in 2 different countries.

Isn't this the definition of insanity? :)  You already got answers on how
to dig, but you can also just do:

host 64.4.53.7
7.53.4.64.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer lc2.law5.hotmail.com

if all you want is a simple answer. Avoid nslookup like the plague.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?