Help. my "dig" can't work for my zone.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jan 24 21:13:03 UTC 2003

> On 23 Jan 2003, yueweng wrote:
>
> =>Any one knows what's wrong?  I have followed the dns-howto but thing
> =>just can't get work out.  My machine IP is 202.172.41.38.  I have
> =>restart my named server.  Any help or comment is really appreciated.My
> =>named.conf and yueweng.zone file is as follows:

	The intial problem was that he was not asking his own server
	(202.172.41.38) for the zone.  e.g. "dig axfr yueweng.com
	@202.172.41.38"

	; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> yueweng.com axfr
	;; Received 0 answers (0 records).
	;; FROM: yueweng to SERVER: 202.172.32.2
	;; WHEN: Mon Jan 27 20:42:31 2003
	;; Received 0 answers (0 records).
	;; FROM: yueweng to SERVER: 202.172.32.3
	;; WHEN: Mon Jan 27 20:42:31 2003

	Also none of what you report would have stopped the zone loading
	or transfering.

> OK. First of all: Have you checked your logs, it would be informative!

	This is good advice.  You been to ensure that the server loaded
	the zone.  It will report errors if it failed to load.

> =>zone "localhost" in {
>                    ^^
> 		   By default the IN class is used, you may avoid using it
> here.
> =>        type master;
> =>        file "localhost.zone";
> =>};
> =>yueweng.zone:
> =>-------------
> =>$TTL 3D
> =>@               IN SOA          yueweng.yueweng.com.
> =>hostmaster.yueweng.com(
>                         ^
> 			Here you have missing a dot! At the end of .com. (
>

> =>                                200301244       ; serial (d. adams)
> =>                                3600            ; refresh
> =>                                2H              ; retry
> =>                                1W              ; expiry
> =>                                2D )            ; minimum
> =>;
> =>                   NS           yueweng         ; Inet Address of name
> =>server
> This entry is OK
> =>;
> =>;
> =>yueweng.com.       MX           10 mail         ; Primary Mail
> =>Exchanger
> HEre you have an error. Mail is a cname and it should be a real address.
> =>;
> =>;
> =>;
> =>localhost          A            127.0.0.1
> This one is not needed to be announced!

	How do you know that "localhost" is not needed?  Do you
	know for certian that every client with yueweng.com configured
	in the search list will be using nameservers with "localhost"
	zones?  Even if there are "localhost" zones, have a localhost
	entry will speed the resolution process.

	One should not try and guess intent when giving advice.

	What is missing is the AAAA record for localhost (::1) which
	will be needed sooner or later.

> =>yueweng            A            202.172.41.38
> =>www                CNAME        yueweng
> =>mail               CNAME        yueweng
> =>
> =>
>
> I would bouild the zone file like this:
> $TTL 3D
> @	SOA	yueweng.yueweng.com. hostmaster.yueweng.com. (
> 			200301244       ; serial (d. adams)
> 			1h              ; refresh
>                         15m             ; retry
>                         1W              ; expiry
>                         15m )           ; minimum
> 	NS	yueweng.yuewng.com.     ; Inet NAME of name server
> 	MX      10 mail	                ; Primary Mail Exchanger
> yueweng A       202.172.41.38
> www     CNAME   yueweng
> mail    A       202.172.41.38
>
> Thus making the MX canonical is better than using a CNAME that shouldn't be
> used for mail exchangers.
>
> But your problem might be caused for the lack of the dot after the
> administrator address at the SOA record. The zone is not being loaded.

	No.  However the "(" needs to be its own token with some version
	of named and it is good policy to make it a seperate token with
	the other versions to avoid confusion.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org