BIND Source code explanation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 24 18:40:49 UTC 2003

Tim Moran wrote:

>We are experimenting with BIND and wanted to know what module(s) are
>responsbile for finally sending the answer to an A record question?

"Finally"? You mean, the part of the code which is responsible for
opening the socket, sending the packet, retrying it, etc. etc.? That's a
fairly uninteresting part of the code, and also it tends to be somewhat
dependent on the underlying OS and/or network stack. Depending on
exactly what you're trying to do, you may be more interested in the part
of the code which "renders" the packet, i.e. converts the internal data
structures into wire-format.

Also, are you dealing with BIND 8 or BIND 9? These are completely
different codebases.

>Perhaps there is some documentation on BIND source somewhere?

Beyond the comments in the source files, include files, etc.? Not that
I'm aware of. If you find any, please let me know.

                - Kevin