Denied Query

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 21 20:34:10 UTC 2003

Alex Tang wrote:

> phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:<b0hesd$eg78$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > Alex Tang <cchytang at sinaman.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear All
> >
> > > I keep getting the following logs which shows that the dns server is
> > > being queried his ip address ptr record from different IP. However,
> > > the ptr is hosting by other name server. They should not query my
> > > server. Do any one know why they (applications) query the ptr from my
> > > server instead of the authoritative server which is hosting the ptr
> > > record.
> >
> > > eg.
> >
> > > 20-Jan-2003 17:25:49.285 security: notice: denied query from
> > > [63.218.7.130].11853
> > > for "1.110.83.203.in-addr.arpa" PTR/IN
> >
> > > 203.83.110.1 (dns1) is a new dns server and hosting some domains.
> > > the ptr of 203.83.110.1 is hosting by the other server ns1.
> >
> > > Therefore, all request for querying the ptr of 203.83.110.1 should go
> > > to ns1 nor dns1(203.83.110.1)
> >
> > The client will ask the dns-servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf ( or
> > simular) for everything.
> >
> > The client is not ( shall not) be smart and attempt to locate=20
> > which servers are doing what domains, that's a nameserver task. Thus
> > the client asks your nameserver all queries.=20
>
> Thanks you help.
> Would you tell me that what is locate=20 and all queries.=20 ?

Have you never seen extraneous "=20"s in people's email before? It's an artifact
of incompatibilities between various mail-user-agents' and/or gateways' notions of
how to handle the quoted-printable content-type. You should just read those as the
plain words "locate" and "all queries".

> Why the
> client ask /etc/resov.conf ? The file should be use by the name server
> only.

No, you've got that backwards: DNS *clients* use /etc/resolv.conf (on Unix at
least; Windows OS'es presumably use some sort of registry crud);
BIND name*servers* use /etc/named.conf.

- Kevin