NS2 not asking NS1

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jan 16 06:55:06 UTC 2003

> This is an internal net with two local domain masters
> (Bind 9.1.2) NS1 + NS2.  I just want resolv.conf of ea. server to
> point to its own 192 zone master and to my external DNS servers.

	All nameserver listed in resolv.conf should have the *same*
	view of the DNS.  This sounds like you are violating this
	rule.

> NS1, just listens on 192.168.1.0\24 but NS2 listens there
> and on 172.10.0.0\16

	CIDR notation is 192.168.1.0/24 and 172.10.0.0/16 using the
	wrong slash will just confuse and distract.

> I have some CNAMES in defined in the NS1 192 zone,
> but not in the NS2 192 zone.
>
> Want to have the NS2 server query the NS1 server for
> that resolution, but it does not happen.  What should I
> check for in the respective named.conf's to do that???

	This does not make sense.

	If a nameserver is authoritative for a zone it will *not*
	ask another server for answers within that zone.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org