Active Directory Integrated DNS( dynamic update behavior )

Rahul Parasnis rparasnis at clj.co.jp
Thu Jan 16 00:18:21 UTC 2003

thanks a lot barry , this options is pretty much safe .
For rest of zones either I can define w2k as secondary or forward those
requests to bind DNS .
is there any limit on defining secondary servers ? ( is it 20 )

I tested the dynamic update to learn it's behavior . Here is what understood
please correct me if I am wrong .

If there is A record, CNAME and PTR  record for one client . A record is
different than the Client FQDN ( computer name ). When client updates , it
deletets this A record and PTR record and replaces with it's FQDN Name but
the old A record and CNAME resord is not deleted .
I could see the log in db.domain.ixfr and reverse_lookup_zone_file.ixfr .

These two names are not cnames of the A-record that is dynamically added .

nslookup cname
Server:  DNS Server
Address:  IP Address

Name:    rparasnis.clj.co.jp
Address:  IP Address
Aliases:  cname.clj.co.jp

there are following records now in DNS
A record for computername ( dynamically updated )
PTR record for computername ( dynamically updated )
A record (old ) which was existing before
CNAME records pointing to old A-record

is my understanding correct ?

best regards,
- RAHUL

This e-mail contains confidential information or information belonging to
Credit Lyonnais and is intended solely for the addressees.
The unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination or copying of this e-mail,
or any information it contains, is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed.
Credit Lyonnais shall not be liable for this e-mail if modified or falsified.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete it
immediately from your system and notify the sender of the wrong delivery
and the mail deletion.