Reverse Classless

Jason Oakley joakley at aapt.com.au
Wed Jan 15 04:55:25 UTC 2003

Hi.

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have one dns server (copied to server dsltest1 to save hurting the main
dns server with changes).
It is the master server for all addresses in our opseng.aapt.com.au net.

I am setting up a second dns server for all addresses
*.net.opseng.aapt.com.au which will be used by other people (using WebMin)
to make changes.
They have a set of IP addresses for now : 172.19.203.126 to 172.19.203.180

I can set up the second dns server (haysec1) to locally resolve say
test.net.opseng.aapt.com.au to 172.19.203.126 and reverse.

I want to set up dsltest1 (being the main server everyone has in their
computer settings) to resolve *.net.opseng.aapt.com.au addresses forwards
and backwards.

So far, the forward works fine.  It downloads the ip's as a slave from haysec1.
But, I cannot for the life of me set them up so that dsltest1 can do a
reverse lookup on test.net.opseng.aapt.com.au
ie. nslookup 172.19.203.126

A friend has been helping me set this up, but he says the way that WebMin
works prevents this from becoming a reality (possibly because it does not
support classless nets?).

Either I am going to have to write my own dns-editing scripts using PHP or
find some other way to do what I need to do.

Regards,

Jason.

Jason Oakley +612 82821434
MSG Security Administrator