nameservers giving different results

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 14 03:22:33 UTC 2003

> First time poster, so I hope I am providing all of the necessary
> information, and that someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a problem with a domain name that has recently been transferred to
> me.
>
> The domain in question is vil.maryville.il.us
>
> The name servers that are authoritative for the domain are ns1.kdinet.com
> and ns2.kdinet.com.
>
> The ISP I am using is reporting inconsistent resolutions for the domain.
> These name servers are:
> ns1.charter-stl.com
> ns2.charter-stl.com
>
> Each report a different response when queried for the vil.maryville.il.us
> domain.
>
> I have used nslookup and get the following:
> >C:\>nslookup
> >Default Server: ns1.charter-stl.com
> >Address: 24.217.0.3
> >
> >> vil.maryville.il.us
> >Server: ns1.charter-stl.com
> >Address: 24.217.0.3
> >
> >Non-authoritative answer:
> >Name: vil.maryville.il.us
> >Address: 64.227.242.231    <--incorrect old address

	They still have the old NS records cached.  You should make
	the oldservers slaves of the new servers until the old NS
	records expire.  Either that or demand that the old servers
	cease serving vil.maryville.il.us.  If they don't cease
	serving some caches will stay locked to the old servers so
	long as they have one query daily as the old servers will
	refresh the old NS RRset.

	Mark

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> +norec vil.maryville.il.us @24.217.0.3
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	vil.maryville.il.us, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
vil.maryville.il.us.	22h55m33s IN NS  a.ns.interland.net.
vil.maryville.il.us.	22h55m33s IN NS  b.ns.interland.net.
vil.maryville.il.us.	22h55m33s IN NS  c.ns.interland.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
a.ns.interland.net.	23h57m43s IN A	64.226.28.33

;; Total query time: 395 msec
;; FROM: drugs.dv.isc.org to SERVER: 24.217.0.3  24.217.0.3
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 14 14:15:11 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 37  rcvd: 117

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org