Significance of @ symbol in soa record.

David Botham dns at botham.net
Mon Jan 13 17:45:18 UTC 2003

[clip...]

> Regarding my second question, let me give an example to clarify:
>
> $TTL 1D
> @            60 in soa  ns1.1safari.com. hostmaster.ns1.1safari.com. (
>                         2003011000      ; serial
>                         12H             ; refresh
>                         30M             ; retry
>                         2W              ; expire
>                         1H )            ; negative caching
>
> I was referring the the value 60 preceding "in soa"

That "60" is the explicit TTL for the SOA record.  It overrides the 1
day TTL for the zone.  You can safely remove it and adopt the 1 day
default TTL (unless you have a good reason to have a 60 TTL on your
SOA).  Also, your negative caching TTL of 1 hour would indicate that you
anticipate Adding records to the zone soon.  If you don't plan on adding
records, you can safely make that TTL the say as the default of 1 day.

Thanks,

Dave...