Swamp Space: A Little Off Topic

David Botham dns at botham.net
Wed Jan 8 21:56:24 UTC 2003

No, I have no intentions of replying to the young Joe Batista, as I am
well aware of the fate that awaits those that engage him in matters
concerning the Internet.

Yes, I saw the young Joe Batista's question and the term sparked
interest.  I then began this quest for my own edification.

>  in any case, the term arose during the tail end of the CIDR wg and
>  its spillover into the ISP/ops arena.  In general, it refers to
>  legacy delegations (roughly pre 1998) in the historical "C" space.
>  Various modern interpretations tend to treat the term as any
>  legacy delegation, regardless of range.

Thank you for the explanation.

>  it has roughly the same legacy as "tier-x" in reference to ISPs.
>
>  why do you care?

With a name like Swamp Space, you just have to find out, don't you?  :)

Thanks again,

Dave...

> % This is probably really off topic, however, seeing that some of the
> % smartest people on the planet live here, including those that have
> % helped develop the standards, software, and documentation that run
the
> % net... Here it goes:
> %
> % What is the IP "Swamp Space"
> %
> % And
> %
> % Where did it get that name from?
> %
> % I did a google for "swamp space" and found lots of hits.  The
problem is
> % that I could not get a good grasp on it from the context in which it
was
> % used.
> %
> % Thanks in advance and sorry for the OTP.
> %
> % Dave...
>

> --bill
> Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
> certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or
otherwise).