Which DHCP to choose ??

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Jan 8 13:10:55 UTC 2003

What we did was to block off a set of addresses that are ONLY used for
DHCP and Windows.  We did this by assigning a BIND artificial name for
each address in the Windows IP address space.  We let Windows manage
and use these addresses exclusively.  The Windows SERVERS get static
addresses, but the rest are assigned by Windows out of the reserved
namespace.

We also do not allow Windows to make ANY updates to the BIND
namespace...

I'm not sure if this is workable for you, but ... Just a thought...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> Date: 8 Jan 2003 10:55:30 -0000
> From: maurywind at interfree.it ()
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Which DHCP to choose ??
>

> Dear All,
> I'm a Network Administrator for my Company, we have DNS "BIND" (Sun
and Linux machines) and DHCP-Servers Microsoft Win2K. We have more
problems about the update (.. delete actions into reverse zones) when
the lease expired.. they take more time before to "inform" the DNS that
the lease is expired above all about the "reverse zone"... for this
reason there are some days that same ip is assigned to more hosts
!!!!.. it's wrong !!...

> we have checking all configurations and we have tunning as best as
possible the Servers and we have reduced the wrong rrs ( .. to changing
the times... ) but we haven't eliminate the problem !.

> So i'm making one important choose for to change our DHCP-servers
WIN2K whit other (.. to install into LIUX machines) more performant and
more stable !! Can you suggest some one ??

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
ignorance or stupidity.

Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers