supressing reverse DNS lookups

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Mon Feb 24 23:31:12 UTC 2003

"Steinart Sturesson" <steinart_2 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b3e86m$21p3$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> Hi all!
>
> Is there anyone who knows if there is a way to disable reverse DNS lookups
> (IP addresses to host names) in BIND. I am running a BIND 9 caching only
> name server and I want it to try to find the answers for name to IP
address
> lookups, but any reverse lookup attempt should be supressed (e.g. by
always
> returning information to the asking application that the mapping could not
> be found). Is that possible?

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want that, but I will
assume you have a good reason.

zone "in-addr.arpa" in {
    type master;
    file "bogus.in-addr.arpa.";
};

in-addr.arpa. IN SOA localhost. root.localhost. 1 1d 2h 20d 3h
    IN NS localhost.
;substitute the real master hostname and name server(s)
;otherwise leave blank.  Will return NXDOMAIN for all queries.