Registering new nameservers with registrar.. how?

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Mon Feb 24 20:20:36 UTC 2003

"Kurgan" <flyguywpb at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:v5kqrjb37ctp6c at news.supernews.com...

> So what I would like to do now is change the authoritative nameservers
> listed in my domain registration to now be:
>
> ns1.mydomain.com
> ns2.mydomain.com
>
> Neither ns1.mydomain.com nor ns2.mydomain.com exist yet, even on our
> ISPs nameserver. Obviously the first thing that needs to be done is to
> set up the DNS zone files on the two new servers. Once that is correctly
> set up, do I simply enter "ns1.mydomain.com" and "ns2.mydomain.com" into
> my domain registration? Or is there something else I have to do? It
> doesn't make sense to me that entering in a nameserver that cannot be
> resolved could possibly work.

The old chicken-and-the-egg problem. :)

When you add your two name servers in the Registry of your Registrar, they
will also provide "glue" records for them, the IP addresses that belong to
the names of your two name servers. That way your name server, like
ns1.mydomain.com, will itself resolve (so that it, in turn, can resolve
mydomain.com).

That is all there is to it. :)

- Mark