Can bind read resolv.conf for forwarders?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 24 19:16:21 UTC 2003

Richard Miller wrote:

>A quick question I cannot find an answer to.  I'm running RH Linux 7.1 and
>bind 9.2.1 as a caching only nameserver on a small home network.  I recently
>go a DSL connection and am using rp-pppoe.  My isp (Covad/ATT) occasionally
>assigns new name servers when my connection restarts.  RP-PPPOE then
>rewrites my resolv.conf and all works fine, EXCEPT now my forwarders listed
>in named.conf are incorrect and this seems to cause a noticeable delay in
>DNS resolution.  I'm not a Linux guru capable of writing shell scripts to
>read the resolv file and update my bind configuration.  Just wondering if
>there is an easy fix to this.  Thanks.  Richard

Quick and dirty (you'd certainly want to add some sanity checks and/or
error recovery to this):

> BEGIN { print "forwarders { "; }
> print if (s/^nameserver[\s]+(.*)\n$/$1; /);
> END { print "};\n"; }

Invoke as "perl -n {path-to-script} /etc/resolv.conf". Then just
"include" the output of that script into your named.conf. You'd have to
include the generation of this include-file into your network startup
scripts, of course.

Or, as was already suggested, don't bother using forwarders at all...

                    - Kevin