Newbie question about nsupdate & TSIG key

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Feb 20 18:10:40 UTC 2003

Kareem Mahgoub <kareem at thewayout.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am using BIND 9.2.1 and i configured it to accept dates for a specific zone.
> I used nsupdate on a machine in Netherlands to update the DNS located in Egypt.
> The following error appeared on my log file "TSIG error with server: clocks are unsynchronized".
> It is clear that clocks are not synchronized due to TIMEZONE difference.
> How can I solve this??
> I tried google and the archive of Bind-users and Bind9-users.
> The problem was mentioned several times in the archive but am not sure if they were addressing different timezones.
> Sorry if it is a trivial problem.
> Any help or guide will be very much appreciated.

> Best regards,
> Kareem Mahgoub
> Senior System Administrator
> Wayout
> Phone: +2023017153
> Fax: +2023017130
> 45 El Batal Ahmed Abdel Aziz st.
> 14th Floor, Mohandeseen
> Cairo, Egypt

When syncronizing clocks with ntp ( as you _should_) your kernel
runs in UTC ( that's what ntp uses) and by selecting a proper timezone
( or TZ environmental) your "date command" shows local time.

It's thus importent that both your timezone and time-of-day are correct.

( ntpd won't stay alive if your kernel time is more then app. 15 minutes off )

--
Peter Håkanson