Real Newbie question

David Botham dns at botham.net
Thu Feb 20 13:46:06 UTC 2003

It is OK to ask basic questions.  DNS and BIND, 4th Edition is a good
book to have on the shelf.  It will help you to start asking harder
questions :)

> See i have a domian a.com.

I seriously doubt you own that domain, but, let's pretend for this
example :)

> Is it possible to use the Nameserver Records of different servers i.e.
>
> a.com  NS  ns1.aaa.com
> a.com  NS  ns2.aaa.com
> a.com  NS  ns3.bbb.com
> a.com  NS  ns4.bbb.com

Yes, this is perfectly legal and often the case.

> so if ns1.aaa.com and ns2.aaa.com fails will my domain be resolved
with
> ns1.bbb.com ????

Yes.  Hence the reason to have *at least* two name servers, if not
more...

Dave...