I can't gethost but other can.....

Dermot Paikkos dermot at sciencephoto.com
Wed Feb 19 10:00:01 UTC 2003

On 19 Feb 2003 at 0:35, Simon Waters wrote:
> David Botham wrote:

Dam!!

> I think Dermot has a second problem as he reports Phage as
> pingable but not answering DNS queries, but Phage answers me,
> sound like it could be firewall or security setting related.
>
> One name server can result in a risk of down time, but I don't
> think cshl.org is configured so bad as not to work, just to
> break easily.
>
> However since Dermot reports it as pingable I can only assume it
> is something particular to Phage that doesn't like Dermot's servers.
>
> If it is the only correct fix is for Phages administrator to fix
> it anyway.
>
> I noted both the servers allow AXFR, so a workaround exists.
>
> Dermot what exactly do you type to get failure to resolve.
dig cshl.org was what I was entering - well to be honest I was using
nslookup most of the time.

> Does "dig +norec @143.48.1.1 cshl.org any" work from the problem
> name server?
I have had a change in my results. I tried the above and got a
connection timed out error. They I tried `dig +norec cshl.org` and lo-
and-behold, a result.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
cshl.org.               7h3m51s IN NS   ADNA.cshl.org.
cshl.org.               7h3m51s IN NS   PHAGE.cshl.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ADNA.cshl.org.          7h3m51s IN A    143.48.1.20
PHAGE.cshl.org.         7h3m51s IN A    143.48.1.1

I then tried 'dig +norec www.cshl.org' again I got a reply. Then I
tried my browser and I got a dns or server error. So I tried
http://143.48.1.12:80 still nothing from the site. To the best of my
recollection 143.48.1.12 was the address for the web server albiet I
can't find one now and indeed I can't even ping it. Perhaps your right
and there is some firewall issue. There is no firewall on our site
though.

The AXFR solution you mentioned, does that intail becoming a
secondary for the zone and initating a transfer?

What is worrying me is that I am having trouble with another site
www.aims.org.au and the domain dodo.com.au. I am concerned that
it is my configuration that is damaged. I have checked the router and
UDP and TCP are open on port 53. I can't think of any thing else to
try :~|
Dp.

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot at sciencephoto.com
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668