Start BIND automatically on W2K

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Feb 18 21:26:44 UTC 2003

At 05:14 AM 2/17/03, Hans Bergseth wrote:
>I am able to start named from the prompt like this:
> >C.\winnt\system32\dns\bin\named -f -d2 -c
>c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\named.conf
>
>However, when I try to start it from services (ISC BIND) it complain  with
>the following msg:
>
>"Could not start the ISC BIND service on Local Computer.
>   Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly"
>
>When I start it like this, I don't include "-f" in the parameter list.
>  Any Idee why it does'nt start via the service?
>
>regards Hans

You are probably missing the directory directive in options. Unlike
Unix a Windows system service does not have a default directory.
When you run it interactively, you start in a default directory.
Try adding:

options {
         directory "c:\winnt\systems32\dns\etc";
}
to your named.conf. If you aleady have an options clause just
add the directory directive to it.

Danny