interesting dns behavior

David Botham dns at botham.net
Tue Feb 18 16:07:42 UTC 2003

If the Left field is *blank*, it will be *repeated* in subsequent RR's.
Therefore, if you where trying to do this:
lan     NS      ns1.x.y.
lan     NS      ns2.x.y.
lan     MX      10      mail
lan     TXT     48

Then, the MX an TXT RR's are out of zone data in the x.y zone, and they
should be moved to the lan.x.y zone.

However, if you were trying to do this:
lan     NS      ns1.x.y.
lan     NS      ns2.x.y.
@       MX      10      mail
@       TXT     48

I think you can now see why you were not doing what you think you were
doing.

> Note the 2 delegations for the subdomain "lan"
> BIND didn't choke on this but the TXT an MX records weren't visible to
the
> outer world, which caused major mayhem.
> Changing it to
>
>         NS      ns1.x.y.
>         NS      ns2.x.y.
>         MX      10      mail
> lan     NS      ns1.x.y.
> lan     NS      ns2.x.y.
>         TXT     48

Note that want you have here is this (assuming that the soa RR is the
same as above):
@       NS      ns1.x.y.
@       NS      ns2.x.y.
@       MX      10      mail
lan     NS      ns1.x.y.
lan     NS      ns2.x.y.
lan     TXT     48

I am not sure if you intended to have the text RR in the lan.x.y zone.
If you did, it is *out of zone data* in the x.y zone.  It should be
moved.

By moving the MX RR above the lan.x.y RR's (and leaving the first field
blank), you have actually changed the real domain name.

Dave...