getting my own IP back

julianop julianop at mninter.net
Tue Feb 18 15:21:11 UTC 2003

"Eivind Olsen" <eivind at aminor.no> wrote in message
news:b2sl3k$22o7$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> --On 17. februar 2003 19:28 -0600 julianop <julianop at mninter.net> wrote:
> > I don't know what the firewall would do. I have a Cisco 678 DSL router
> > with NAT running to map the ports to the right machines on my private
> > LAN, but that's about it. On the subject of firewalls, though, I added
the
> > "query-source address * port 53;", only because I think I'm supposed to.
>
> Ahh, there's your problem. The Cisco 678 is probably _very_ similar to the
> Cisco 677.
> It's actually a piece of sh*t when it comes to its "intelligent" handling
> of DNS-packets. It mangles the DNS-packets just like you've experienced.
> I'm not aware of any way of disabling that "feature", there's not a "set
> dnsmangle off"-command in CBOS... :)
> The packet-mangling only happens on traffic from port 53 internally it
> seems so a work-around (which I've used myself) is to configure BIND to
> listen on another port as well (for example port 54) and forward the
> external port 53 (from the external IP of the router) to your internal
> DNS-server on port 54.

I'll have to look into that method, as I only have a single IP.
Thanks to you and JD for the helpful info. I'm sure O'Reilly will tell me
how to configure bind to listen to an additional port for external requests,
and I think I can drive the idiot 678. If you remember how to do it, though,
I'd certainly appreciate a hint.

Thanks again.
j.