DNS and SQL

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 17 18:12:50 UTC 2003

Jason Burton wrote:

>Anyone know of a way to make Win2k DNS server or DNS service in general ODBC
>or data driven rather than zone file based?

Well, BIND has traditionally loaded its zone data from files, but there
are commercial products built on top of BIND (Lucent's QIP and Nortel's
NetID, for instance), that use a RDBMS backend instead. With BIND 9,
there are hooks that allow one to use any database one wishes as a
backend, assuming it meets certain requirements.

For ad-hoc querying, I would think the resolver library interface is
much more lightweight than ODBC etc.

                                                - Kevin